Thursday, May 26, 2011

#45 Identity

This morning Master C & I were reading picture books in bed & chatting, when our conversation turned somehow to his name.
I was explaining to him - just for fun - that his middle name was once his fathers nickname, here is the conversation that followed.
Me: So a nickname is something people often call you, that is isn't really your name. Just like we call you 'Spud'.
Master C: Yes... But that's not my real name, my real name is C(insert first, middle & surname here).
Me: Yes. That's right.
Master C: But sometimes people don't know what my name is.
Me: What do you mean?
Master C: Well, all the time people at the shops say to me (adopts the exact intonations as I now realise would so often be used) "Hi there Matey!"
Me - laughing: Honey i know what you mean but they don't think that's your name, it just means ' Hi Friend'... it's just a different word for friend.
Master C: Well... I don't like it.
Me: Why not honey? It's a nice thing to say to someone?
Master C: Because my name is C(insert first, middle & last name here). And, I am happy with that.

I think it is quite amazing just how young a child's sense of identity develops.
I also think it both remarkable & amusing that they are often so fiercely protective of it...That for so many children the use of any adjective will elicit a fiery response of " No I'm not! I'm *name*!!!"
In a way it feels like a tiny insight into a time in the future when everything about them will be so much more 'them' than their parents. When the name that you gave them will suddenly seem so much more to you, than it does to them.
A most frightening & lovely role reversal...

Cx

No comments:

Post a Comment